Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Life Aquatic with Heal



Well, I spose I shouldn't complain too much as I just had the most sleep out of any night this week. Still, I'm not all that impressed that I woke up to a coughing fit at 6 am on one of the last days of my holidays. Sigh. How fitting though that I have been reacquainted this morning with French label Heal, thanks to Susie Bubble. Apparently they had some financing issues for their S/S 10 collection, meaning that the pieces aren't quite as intricate as those immensely detailed A/W 09 pieces (which are still available in their online shop). Nonetheless, this collection may work out better for myself in the end for two reasons: 1) I can't afford their gorgeous A/W 09 Brain Jacket with a price tag of € 1780.00, but I'm thinking this collection may be a bit more affordable. And, 2) I absolutely love The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou theme. I'm assuming that the Heal designer pair had this movie in mind, anyway, with the exact colour palette of the movie, the predominant red touque in the majority of the photos, and the Jacques-Yves Cousteau quote on their website (and the fact that their Facebook lists them as a fan of both Wes Anderson and Bill Murray). The outfit above, for one, is more than reminiscent of the uniform of the Belafonte crew (although this top involves a lot more hook-and-eyes!).


And, continuing with the aquatic theme, these two pieces are quite ingeniously modeled after none other than the beautiful manta ray.


And this dress! Absolutely gorgeous. My mother did tell me when I was younger that I couldn't pull off orange, but I'd break my life-time avoidance of the colour for this silk dress, featuring shell/scale shapes in the bodice. Sigh.

Well, I do feel a little better now.


Related Posts