Thursday, September 2, 2010

Interview with Shinwon Yoon of SHIN



I have surely been in a New York state of mind these past few days/weeks/months. Since booking my trip eons ago, I've noticed that New York is in nearly every movie/book/magazine/website I look at. And now it's hard to believe that I will be embarking on this adventure in a mere 36(ish) hours. As I don't know if I'll have access to a computer during my stay (and my loaner flip phone is not very smart), I can't promise you any posts next week. And so I thought I'd leave you with the last interview of the summer (or at least of summer proper), with none other than a Brooklyn-based designer. FIT graduate Shinwon Yoon is the lovely lady behind SHIN, a fabulous drapey essential line which I am very much looking forward to seeing up close and personal in a few days. And as you've seen some of these SHIN pieces already here, I've intermingled some photos of places I shall be visiting during my stay. So it's almost like you're there with me, no? 

***

How did you get into fashion design, and do you have a formal educational background in design?

I studied architectural design back in university and did an associate degree program for fashion design.

Do you wear your own designs?

Yes, all the time.


How does living in New York affect your designs and personal style?

I have to say everything around me in New York inspires me.  I am constantly affected by art, buildings and even people on the streets in New York.

What is your favorite thing about New York/Brooklyn that you would miss if you moved away?

Diversity. Of fashion, people, food, etc. 


What is your favorite experience as a designer so far?

To meet someone who actually loves my clothes and wears them a lot!

Which designer inspires you the most?

Yohji Yamamoto.


What album/musician has inspired your work the most?

Philip Grass; Massive Attack's "Heligoland".

Who would you most like to create an outfit for?

Matthew Barney.


What is your most favorite piece in your current collection?

100% Merino wool coat with scarf, which can transformed into different styles.

What are your future plans for SHIN?

Expand line more and debut at New York Fashion Week on the runaway.


***

If you can't make it out to Oak on Bond Street, who should have the new F/W 10 collection as we speak, make sure you visit the SHIN online shop. Before I go, can anyone tell me what this building is in TVland? 


Have a great week folks!


Related Posts