Sunday, December 20, 2009

In This Corner...Christmas Wish from Tara St. James


After a particularly overwhelming gift-giving Christmas, my family looked at the 3 garbage bags filled with wrapping and packaging and decided to go on a hiatus from giving gifts to one another. That was two years ago. Instead, we decided to spend time together making breakfast, volunteering at a soup kitchen and talking. Not great for all the stores trying to sell us stuff to give away, but great for our budgets and our sanity. I am in a constant struggle between wanting to sell goods to customers and trying to preach restraint. After all, my business depends on sales.

This year we set a minimal budget and are hand making gifts. I won't tell you what I'm making for my boyfriend because he might read this, but I will tell you it has made me rethink the whole idea of giving gifts. And believe me, I love giving gifts. But I don't think they need to be given out all at once in mass quantities. Next year I'm going to buy or make little gifts for people when I want to give them something, or when I think they need cheering up.

As for myself, I need a sweater stone. That's it. Some of my sweaters are in dire need of a little TLC. Besides that, I feel very fulfilled, and am looking forward to Christmas breakfast with my family, sans-presents.

***

This Holiday Corner was brought to you by Tara St. James of Study NY. Tara also has a great gift idea if you still need to buy something for someone (or yourself): for the whole month of December, she's donating absolutely everything she makes from her Etsy shop to The Uniform Project. Amazing.

Don't forget to read my interview with Tara here.


Related Posts