Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ballonet




It's a gloomy day, my new 30-something-year-old couch just ripped, and, for the first time in eight years, I don't want to go to my appointment to get my roots touched up (though this may have something to do with the fact that I still haven't mastered walking again). However, the day is not yet lost, as I found what may be my most favorite dress of the year. I was just thinking while scouring the Internets this morning that, about a year or two ago, draping in a finished piece of clothing was (or at least seemed to be) more of a rare occurrence, practiced mainly by unknown or emerging designers, along with a few Eastern designers without English websites. But nowadays, there's draped stuff all over the Internets and, likely, on dress forms all over the world. Not that this is a bad thing, of course, it's just that a technique that used to catch my eye for being unique has become much more commonplace. At least on the sites I frequent, at any rate. And so I think I was more than ready to see this gorgeous dress at the end of my Internet travels, as there are enough details in this piece to make it a draped dress unlike all others. Particularly, I like that it seems fairly simple in its construction and minimal in the amount of fabric used. I also think that textured pewter-coloured silk is perfect to showcase the draping in its shadows, and the skewed racerback is both lovely and unexpected. I would definitely layer this dress over top of a sheer black slip or tube dress, and have it sweep the ground by wearing the flat lace-up sandals I got married in. 

The dress, by the way, comes from Toronto-based designer Carrie Hayes' newest (and best ever) collection, entitled 'War Machine', which is inspired by post-WWI neo-classicism. The other pieces are quite lovely too (below), with the prints being from actual photos of shipping yards. Brings a whole new meaning to 'rust-coloured', doesn't it?



Related Posts