Monday, November 8, 2010

Unnamed Marble Bliss



With us ending the 'saving' of our daylight as of yesterday, i.e. making the sun go down at the ungodly time of 5:30pm, I'm already feeling the draining effects of the long dark winter ahead. However, I was told that I need to focus on the good things of life. So here are three things that I did manage to enjoy yesterday:

1) The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris. This is by far one of the best novels I have read in a very long time. I can't believe that this is only the author's second book, and that it is so completely different from his first (which is also excellent, but is completely hilarious). I don't want to say too much about the plot because you should just go out and read it, but it's this intense modern Odyssey that follows one of the most realistic love stories that must exist, while having a completely fictional (and sometimes humorous) disease as the central character. I don't remember crying in a book since the first time I read the last Harry Potter book (which I understand might not be a good selling point for some of you, but will make sense to those who were addicted to HP). For some reason I was under the assumption that Joshua Ferris was under 30, but in fact he turns 36 today. He looks like he's under 30 anyway. He also looks like my man. Give Mr. Ferris a nice birthday gift and buy this book today.

2) Coconut Bliss Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge ice cream. It's dairy free, soy free, sugar free, gluten free, and is made of all organic ingredients. It also is the best ice cream I've ever had.

3) The photoshoot in the current issue (#23) of POP that goes along with Susie Bubble's article "Who? How? How Much?", which highlights three 'one-collection-wonders' (being Hakaan, Pedro Lourenco, and Joseph Altuzarra). I was hoping to like one of these three designers enough to write a whole post about them, but all three use too much leather and/or fur. The shoot, however, was set in the Dionysos Marble Quarry in Athens. I never really thought much about where marble comes from, so my jaw kinda sorta dropped when I saw the photos (by Rene Habermacher), much moreso because of the location than the clothing. I need to go to Greece. Though they also observe the antiquated practice of Daylight Savings Time. Sigh.

(Top photo of Alana Zimmer in Hakaan piece via here)


Related Posts