Friday, March 18, 2011

Obakki, S/S 11





I feel like I owe a bit of an explanation as to why I haven't previously shown the label I will now write about much attention here at kOs (though I may choose to delete this section of the post in the future). Really, this label should've been regular kOs fare already, as there are always at least a few pieces in each collection that I like, is both designed and ethically made in Vancouver, has a humanitarian organization and side collection that devotes its proceeds to such, has a well designed webshop, and has fantastic end of the season sales. So, at first, the lack of posts was simply due to laziness. However, after reading a feature article on this label in a Canadian fashion magazine about a month or so ago, I discovered that the label is closely connected to the one band I most despise in this world. The band who, if a song of theirs is playing, I will actually leave an eating/drinking establishment, injure myself at work while trying to get to the radio and shut it off as soon as possible, want to stab my ears, and/or question the hearing of people who do not have the same reaction as me. Indeed, one of the main reasons I will miss a favorite co-worker who has now moved on is his shared opinion of this band. The discovery of label's connection to the band thus immediately made me emit something between a groan and a sigh.



Now, I realize that I could simply ignore the connection of this label to this band, but, as you know, I like to have a personal connection to my clothing, including knowing where it comes from and who has made it. Also, I fully acknowledge that I am a total music snob, and can't help but judge people based on their taste (or lack thereof) in music. However, I have decided today to separate my love of clothing from my love of music in this post (and acknowledge the fact that this post will likely not be linked to on the label's Facebook), as I like even more pieces than usual in the newest collection from this label. 


And so, without further ado, the label is Obakki, and the beautiful pieces seen here are from the S/S 11 collection. Great colours, draping, and details, silks and modals everywhere, and easy dresses to wear for what appears to be the summer that my legs will make an appearance. And really, it's rare that such a great larger label exists nowadays, and so they should receive as much support as possible. On principle though (and my sincerest apologies to the designer), I would hesitate to wear any of these pieces to a concert. 


Related Posts