Monday, August 8, 2011

Recycled emotions


Random thought, informed by my reading of this rather thought-provoking article about sustainable clothing (via mydearthing's Facebook), my reading of this less thought-provoking account of a very emotional but tasteless (pun intended) disposal of a McQueen garment, and my view of my very full recycle bin:

There should be a recycling program for clothing and textiles of all sorts. According to that first article (by Charty Durrant) linked above, 'we throw away over a million tonnes of textiles every year, most of it ending up in landfill.' And I find that recently I'm more prone to disposing of clothing à la the departed Ms. Winehouse, as evidenced by the garbage bag full of no-longer-needed-scrubs. I've also been contemplating getting rid of a very well-worn and once-loved dress simply because it's now associated with one of the most unfortunate situations I've had to deal with in my life. Just one stray comment made one of the hundreds of times that I've worn it, and now it causes me no little amount of distress to even look at it. I don't want to add to the ridiculously fast destruction of our planet though (and these things are too worn to be re-sold), so can't I just put these emotionally defective clothes in a certain coloured garbage bag or plastic bin so they can be taken far far away from me?


Related Posts