Monday, March 29, 2010

Stacey Grant - Digital drape



Here's the second installment of updates on Stacey Grant's fascinating MA studies. This one in particular really caught my eye, as I've never seen anything quite like it before seeing photos of it on Stacey's blog. Here's what Stacey has to say about 'this one', being digital draping:


Digital draping is a new form of pattern cutting and body draping using light and projections to determine cut, texture, pattern, integration, and future silhouettes. This unique technique was introduced to me by my course director Nancy Tilbury at Kingston University, where I am working towards my MA in Fashion. 

By using a projector and selected images I project onto a model, I can alter the scale and placement easily of my imagery. I personally use digital drape for design development in the form of silhouette, print ideas, and design shape. It really helps when working from abstracted design inspiration which I frequently do to create from my digital drape work. 

For my final show, I will use it a lot to determine scale of accessories which will be a key part of my work, print ideas, embellishment placement and beading, silhouette and seaming. By working with a model in a basic white body, I can draw from my projections onto the body to determine shape and so on.


Top row: Digitally draped images of Stacey's father's hands working, spiral staircase, and great grandfather
2nd row: Stacey's locket necklace, father working, Stacey's first pair of shoes

I know that right now it's being used by at Kingston more as a working tool, but I have a feeling this will be popping up in a few more places in the future. For instance, Michael Jackson had been planning on using something quite similar to this (ie. videos projected on his space suit) for his This Is It tour, although that was of course for entertainment and visual spectacle value than for technological fashion. I think it could also be a fascinating technique to incorporate into a runway show, somewhat reminiscent of Alexander McQueen's S/S 1999 show, in which robotic arms spray painted a white dress on a spinning Shalom Harlow (below).



Related Posts