Saturday, April 30, 2011

Christian Dada, F/W 11/12




The F/W 11/12 collection from Japanese label Christian Dada (found via F'ing Young!, and not to be confused with some sort of religious/political art theory) definitely gets the thumbs up from me for using one of my favorite songs (Sigur Rós' 'Popplagið') in its runway presentation at Tokyo Fashion Week. I read a review on this debut offering from designer Masanori Morikawa that said "he is trying to be McQueen or Galliano in an incomplete way", based on those twig and spike headpieces (created by Kunio Kohzaki). And sure, I can see some similarities to McQueen if I look (I have no knowledge of anything Galliano), such as that gorgeous hoop dress having a similar shape to the silver ball encrusted McQueen one worn by Björk, or that springtime dress having a (less) similiar shape to that gorgeous McQueen dress worn by Carrie Bradshaw, or those brocade-ish dresses having a(n even less) similiar shape to...other dresses. But, regardless of Masanori's named or unnamed sources of inspiration, I still think that these pieces are lovely, and that the potential greatness of future collections from this designer is rather exciting.


(Lookbook photos via F'ing Young!)


Related Posts